Kell Brook calls out Khan after the Bolton man says the fight will only happen at welterweight.
This is the most positive in a long time that a possible Kell Brook and Amir Khan showdown has looked.
It’s a fight for years that not just British boxing fans have wanted but many boxing fans around the world would like to see.
Khan told Sky Sports this week that he’ll only fight Brook at 147lbs – which seems be music to the ears of Brook who has had this to say to Khan directly today:
@amirkingkhan are you ready to secure this fight with me, a huge showdown in 2017 for all the fans!
— Kell Brook (@SpecialKBrook) October 22, 2016
One would think the fight taking place at 147lbs should not be too much of a stumbling block. In theory at least.
Yes it will be a struggle for Brook to come back down to the limit after moving up to middleweight to fight Gennady Golovkin in September, but motivation to do so would be at an all time high with the chance to fight his oldest, most fierce rival since he turned pro.
Plus he still holds the IBF world title at the limit. Although his mandatory contender Errol Spence would likely need to be looked after first. Which is no small feat mind you.
But if the relevant stumbling blocks get removed the Brook vs Khan fight ticks all the boxes in my opinion.
A stylistically fun fight between two guys who always entertain, a big story line for promoters to tell given the history between the two and with the current boom in British boxing at the moment – it would likely sell a stadium out next year in the UK.
Timing is everything and now the time for both men could be perfect coming off the back of defeats (Canelo vs Khan full fight earlier this year) but with Brook still holding a world title (IBF) at welterweight to have something significant on the line too.
I’m feeling optimistic we’ll see this in 2017.
The post Kell Brook Calls Out Khan To Have Fight At Long Last In 2017 appeared first on %%Boxing News and Views/%%.