WBO welterweight champion of the world Jessie Vargas has announced on social media that he will take on Britain's IBF champion Kell Brook in an eliminator this September. The fight had been talked about for a number of weeks online, with nothing concrete coming from anyone involved as of yet though. That changed with the following post from Vargas on…
Kell Brook: I’m Going To Shock The World
With just around nine weeks to go until Kell Brook steps between the ropes against Gennady Golovkin he is already deep in training to ready himself for the biggest challenge of his boxing career.
Brook is opening up as a considerable underdog with bookmakers to step up two weight divisions and become undisputed 160lbs champion, with some odds floating around the 7/1 mark for Brook to win at present.
That isn’t deterring Brook’s spirit however, and he fully believes he has the tools to do the job come September.
Speaking to the Ingle Gym, Brook said:
“You know a welterweight jumping up to middleweight, that makes it more exciting for everyone watching. Two unbeaten fighters. Both can punch. It’s about can this welterweight stick it at middleweight? That’s what everyone’s going to find out, which we’ve just told you, I’m a huge welterweight and I can hold my own with them middleweights so I’m going to shock the world.”
“If you can’t get excited for this fight you can’t get excited for no fight. I’m very excited that I’m fighting as people put him pound for pound best fighter on the planet. I’m very excited to get in there and show everyone what I can do. This is going to go down in history.”
Golovkin on his part has said this of the fight so far:
— Gennady Golovkin (@GGGBoxing) July 9, 2016
(Top image source and credit: Kell Brook and Gennady Golovkin Twitter accounts)