Following his shock defeat to Ryan Toms (14-11-2) on October 2nd, Brighton boxer, Lloyd Ellett (17-1) is looking to bounce back on December 4th at the Camden Centre in London on a Hellraiser Promotions show.
Tasting his first defeat in 18 fights and four years as a pro, the ‘Lightning Bolt’ is looking to get back to winning ways on the first weekend of the festive period.
Former two-time Southern Area champion, Toms upset the odds in Brighton on the opening weekend of October, stopping Ellett in the sixth round of their eight-round scheduled bout at the Metropole Hotel on a Crusader Events show headed by former World title challenger, Scott Welch.
Although leading on the scorecards, the 33-year-old travelling opponent from Middlesex caused the home fighter many problems with his southpaw stance, culminating in landing a big left hand early on in the sixth round, crashing his counterpart to the canvas. Struggling to survive, referee Lee Cook rightfully waved the fight off at 2:48, silencing the biased crowd.
The Queensberry Promotions prospect said:
“I just wanna’ get straight back in the ring and erase that memory, it was a horrible feeling because I’ve never lost before, but I feel like I’ve made a few changes and addressed a couple of issues and it’s just made me hungrier than ever, and I’m still heading to where I believe I’m going.”
Up and down year
Despite the minor setback, Ellett is still on track to challenge for major honours next year, beginning with his first fight back from defeat in the festive period, which will provide just his third outing of the year.
The 28-year-old is trained by Eddie Lamm and Alan Smith at the talent-laden iBox Gym in Bromley, Kent, also home to WBO European champions Bradley Skeete and Lewis Pettitt, as well as Southern Area welterweight title-holder Johnny Garton.
A former Haringey Box Cup winner, he enjoyed a busy campaign, winning all 16 of his fights in his first three years punching for pay, signed to London promoter Mickey Helliet.
The Lightning Bolt’s first fight in front of the Box Nation cameras was in March this year at the York Hall in London, earning a hard-fought points win against a far heavier opponent in Latvian Raimonds Sniedze, to move up to an impressive 17-0 record.
The Sussex man mentioned:
“Just being active will make a big difference. I’ve only just fought so I’m still sharp from the training, I probably overdid the training last time because I was in the gym for so long in between fights.”
Making the necessary imporvements
Ellett is never short of sparring opportunities with Southern Area super-middleweight champion, Darryl Williams and Prizefighter light-middleweight winner, Larry Ekundayo in his Kent-based gym, as well as mixing it regularly with fellow Sussex boxer, Chris Eubank Jr. in his coastal hometown.
“I had a week off after the fight whereas before that I’d only had one week off in eight months, I’m working on technical sides rather than killing myself out on the roads and sparring all the time.
“I’ve had that kind of pressure for a long time being unbeaten, headlining in Brighton, selling all the tickets, it’s all experience later down the line when the pressure really is on for the big fights,” said the 154-pounder.
Ellett has headlined the Brighton shows four times so far in his four year professional boxing career and plans to kick off 2016 as the main event once again, “I’m definitely going to be on in February in Brighton again,” he confirmed.
Ellett’s unbeaten teammate, Darryl ‘Ferocious’ Williams (12-0), 25-years-old from Forest Hill, will headline the South London show on the first weekend of December, supported by a talent-packed undercard.
(Image courtesy of Tim Rickson)
The post Lloyd Ellett Promises To Bounce Back From First Career Defeat On Dec 4 appeared first on %%Boxing News and Views/%%.