Skip to content
Home » Unbeaten Welterweight George Hennon Marches On

Unbeaten Welterweight George Hennon Marches On

Unbeaten welterweight prospect, George Hennon (2-0), doubled his win tally with a points victory over Ali Wyatt (4-29-2) at the Grays Civic Hall in Essex on a Carl Greaves Promotions show on Saturday 17th October.



The 21-year-old from Snodland in Kent, a former English and European kick-boxing champion, defeated the 32-year-old travelling opponent from Torquay, Devon 39-37 on points.

“I was really pleased with my performance,” said the victor. “I didn’t really waste much and I really can’t see the round that I lost.”

Hennon’s debut in June this year was a calm, composed performance, triumphing over veteran Matt Seawright (5-122-5) on points over six two-minute rounds.

The tattooed welterweight was cautious throughout and barely stepped out of second gear, explaining afterwards that he didn’t want to do anything too silly in his induction to the paid ranks.

This time, Hennon promised his fans more action and certainly delivered on that. The final round was a cracking display of entertainment from both fighters and the crowd was delighted with what they saw.

“There’s loads I’ve got to work on but from the previous fight, it was much better,” Hennon explained. “In the fourth round I thought I’d step it up a bit, there were a couple of right hands over the top I thought I hurt him with and a couple of body shots as well.”

Clearly learning from his experienced coaches Johnny and Frank Greaves, Hennon wasted very little punches and got some good body shots in during the opening round.

Learning all the time

Confident and composed, Hennon began to drop his hands low in round two, toying with his Devonshire counterpart, looking to land the heavier blows.

The home fighter connected with a couple of good one-two’s to start the penultimate round with. Wyatt’s wild, swinging right hands were telegraphed and Hennon avoided them with ease.

The fourth and final round provided more action than the rest of the fight with both boxers giving their all in the final 180 seconds.

The travelling fighter did manage to get some success and took the centre of the ring, likely causing the judges to score that last round in his favour. Although Hennon landed the best punch of the night with a straight right, flush on Wyatt’s chin that produced a nod from the Devonian in acknowledgement of the shot.

The 39-37 scoring raised a few eyebrows, most notably from World title challenger Frank Buglioni, who was in attendance in support of Hennon, who has been an avid fan of the super-middleweight from Enfield for many years.

Retired Essex boxer and Prizefighter semi-finalist Lee Martin was also amongst others in the crowds.

“I want to fight before the end of the year, that’s the main thing so Johnny [Greaves] is going to look around at possible fights for me,” said Hennon of his immediate plans for the future.

“I’d like to say thank you to Frank Buglioni for coming to support me,” he concluded.

Great card overall

Welterweight debutant John Wheatley (1-0) opened the show opposing Hennon’s previous opponent Matt Seawright (5-124-5) in a six two-minute rounds contest.

Wheatley from Harwich was sharp, strict, and disciplined throughout his professional inauguration, never allowing the experienced veteran to frustrate him with his awkward style.

Round two saw Seawright hit the deck twice both times from a nudge from the Harwich boxer, although the first touchdown was ruled as a knockdown, resulting in an eight-count for the incredibly frustrated Seawright, audibly voicing his disagreement to referee Robert Williams.

In the final round Wheatley gave his all to impress his fans and scored some stinging body shots. A left hook landing flush on Seawright when on the ropes was his best shot of the night.

Although a little uneconomical with his shots, as is expected in a pro bow, it was a sound debut performance correctly scored at 54-60.

A product of Ross Minter’s Queensbury Boxing League, light-heavyweight Joe Jackson Brown (3-0) stopped tough Lithuanian Egidijus Kakstys (5-24-2) in the final round of their four round bout.

First shot from Brown was a well-connected, heavy-handed body shot which set the tone for the rest of the fight.

Content to be second to the punch and counter, the Lithuanian came on strong, beating the Banbury boxer to the jab but a series of good combos and stinging right hands topped the opening round in Brown’s favour.

Brown, 23-years-old, stalked his opponent and always looked likely that a stoppage was on the cards. Kakstys landed a big uppercut in the second round to wake Brown up and a right hand in response in the closing seconds almost took the European’s head clean off, with referee Robert Williams having a close look.

Causing his opponent to breathe heavily, Brown scored a peach of an uppercut followed up by a barrage of vicious shots causing Kakstys to stumble into referee Robert Williams in the penultimate round.

Brown displayed a real killer instinct to finish the fight off at 2:42 in the final round, his second stoppage so far in his trio of pro fights.

Light-welterweight debutant Idris Hill (1-0) defeated Dan Carr (3-76-2) on points in a six three-minute rounds contest.

Hill stayed busy, worked hard, displayed good footwork, and sound fitness. Although not much pop in the punches, it was a patient, encouraging, good all-round performance, rightfully ruled at 54-60 to the Nigerian from Southend.

In the main event, James Conroy (1-9) retired with an injured hand in the fourth round, resulting in the 34-year-old Rochford super-middleweight Paul Hilz moving up to 2-1 on his record.

The post Unbeaten Welterweight George Hennon Marches On appeared first on %%Boxing News and Views/%%.