Creating a top 10 pound for pound boxers ranking and ratings list of the best fighters around the world is a difficult game at the best of times. A debate that always proves to be a bone of contention among fight fans.
Everyone always seems to have a different opinion in this list which at the same time, makes it so much fun to try and figure out - even though it's a mythical list in truth.
Over recent decades there have been many outstanding fighters who have sat on top of this mythical hierarchy from the likes of Roy Jones Jr to Floyd Mayweather to Manny Pacquiao (depending on who you talk to).
Our top 10 pound for pound boxing ranking and ratings list are formulated based on four key criteria weighted in the following order:
- Level of competition faced and beaten on a consistent basis (top tier boxers that at least box once in a calendar year).
- Level of boxing skills that translate to different weight categories/different styles of opponent.
- How a fighter performs in his victories.
- Accomplishments in the sport of boxing (both amateur and pro).
With that in mind, here's our latest rankings of the top 10 best pound for pound boxers in the world today - regardless of what weight class they compete in:
As of January 11th 2017:
1. Roman Gonzalez (Flyweight)
2. Andre Ward (Light-Heavyweight)
3. Sergey Kovalev (Light-Heavyweight)
4. Gennady Golovkin (Middleweight)
5. Vasyl Lomachenko (Super-Featherweight)
6. Terence Crawford (Junior-Welterweight)
7. Manny Pacquiao (Welterweight)
8. Guillermo Rigondeaux (Super-Bantamweight)
9. Canelo Alvarez (Super-Welterweight)
10. Carl Frampton (Featherweight)
Note: These rankings are completely open to objection and like every other pound for pound list out there ever published, they are not to be taken as absolute fact.
They are an enjoyable debate to partake in nonetheless for boxing fans and something that we try to update as fairly as possible in a balanced manner, based on the above key criteria.
We will update this list every month or so depending on when the top pound for pound boxers in the world are in action, or if one drops out of the list due to significant inactivity, retirement or due to unforeseen circumstances.