The United States, Australia, and the United Kingdom (and many more including Japan and others in a list too big to go into) have recently formed a new military alliance called AUKUS. This alliance is designed to counter China’s growing military power in the Indo-Pacific region.
There are a number of military ways that this new alliance can be used to counter China. These include:
- Increased military exercises and training. The three countries can conduct more frequent and larger military exercises together. This will help to improve their interoperability and readiness to operate together in a crisis.
- Shared intelligence and surveillance. The three countries can share intelligence and surveillance information with each other. This will help them to better track Chinese military movements and activities.
- Enhanced military capabilities. The three countries can work together to develop and acquire new military capabilities, such as advanced submarines and aircraft. This will help them to better deter and defend against Chinese aggression.
- Increased military presence in the Indo-Pacific region. The three countries can increase their military presence in the Indo-Pacific region by rotating more troops and ships through the region. This will help to send a clear signal to China that the United States and its allies are committed to defending the region.
The formation of AUKUS is a significant development in the Indo-Pacific region. It sends a strong signal to China that the United States and its allies are united in their commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific. The alliance has the potential to play a major role in countering China’s growing military power in the region.
In addition to the military ways mentioned above, the new alliance can also be used to counter China in other ways. For example, the three countries can work together to:
- Promote economic development in the Indo-Pacific region. This will help to reduce the appeal of China’s economic model and make the region more prosperous and stable.
- Strengthen democratic institutions and values in the Indo-Pacific region. This will help to counter China’s efforts to spread its authoritarian influence in the region.
- Build regional security architecture. This will help to promote cooperation and coordination among countries in the region in addressing common security challenges.
The new alliance has the potential to play a major role in shaping the future of the Indo-Pacific region. It is a significant development that should be closely watched by all stakeholders in the region.